Monday, September 5, 2011

A Proud New World

The seed is generated by letting my cat walk over the numpad.
A new world. A new start. A new chance to discover vast vistas, creating stunning architecture, and defeat nasty beasties the likes of which no mortal man has previously fought! What new world shall be brought before my eyes? What great wonders will be discovered by me? What will my destiny hold?

A beach. My destiny is a beach. A big dumb beach. And it's snowing. Wonderful.

So off I go, first to explore the town and then find a suitable place for my abode. The villagers seem friendly enough. The houses are mostly dirt and wood, but I know I shouldn't get too attached. With just 5 hearts and hard mode, my death could come swift, and from any direction, especially when I least expect it. 

This sobering thought in mind, I set off north to seek shelter. Thanks to the wooden axe I spawned with I have enough wood to build a decent shelter after taking out a grove of trees. Don't worry, trees grow back. (No zey don't) 

After doing some minor exploring and nearly falling to my death into some lava, I met my first mob. 

See, right up there, ain't he a cutie? Also: GAH
Since I had no weapons, armor, or food, I decided to run. So, I turned around and built a house within shouting distance. Because reasons, that's why.

Not exactly a palace.
At this point I was wondering if it would be getting dark soon. I had spawned in winter, so the days were shorter. Then it got dark right on cue. Thank you dramatic convenience, always good to see you rearing your ugly head around here. 

I retreated into my humble abode for the moment and after some digging and smelting I was rewarded with what could be called a house.

Pool not included with all models.
Since I hadn't found a single sheep that day, and I didn't have Somnia installed, I decided to start digging down! Nearly immediately, I hit a vein of iron.

Ha ha! Technological progress is easy!
I climbed back up the stairs and made a chest as well as steps so I could more easily get out of my house. Then I noticed that one of my doors was placed on grass.

THIS WILL NOT DO, SO SAYETH I, DESMOND THE DETAIL OBSESSED.

But I can't just replace it, breaking the grass would break the door, so I did the sensible thing. 

I made a stone sword and started doing housework in the middle of the night.

Duh.

Oops.
 After a minor false start, I got the door in place and a torch placed outside. Surprisingly I wasn't set upon by monsters as soon as I left. 

Ha! They must be afraid of my glorious stone weaponry and soft delicious unprotected flesh!

I waited out the rest of the night by clearing out a bit more stone in the back, no coal yet though, hopefully will find some later today.

Back to the chest to empty the inventory, and lo and behold, it's morning!

I set out to get more wood, but then something in the distance caught my eye.

Floating blocks? Or just a clipping mountain? Must know!
 Off I went, weapon in hand to explore the strange apparition when suddenly...

Clay!
I love clay. I love bricks. I love the sound it makes when you break it. I love how it looks. I love how easy it is to use. I love how one clay block equals one brick block but you have to go through a multitude of loopholes to get it! I love how it fills up your inventory faster than pig hunting!

But, alas, clay is a harsh mistress.

While digging, I went for the clay underwater, and then, it all happened so fast.

It wasn't what I had expected.

It was what I had dreaded.

I couldn't swim up. The space bar refused to work. I flailed my mouse around frantically. This had happened before, but this was not a good time to happen again!

I could do nothing but wait now. I had accepted my death. I felt a strange peace as I watched my bubbles slowly pop. Three left, two left, none left. 4 hearts. 3 hearts. 2 hearts. 1 heart.

DAMN YOU NOTCH
You betrayed me, clay! It was a trap the entire time! Curse you Minecraft gods!

And that concluded the world. Back to main menu. Delete the save. 

Bye little house under a hill with a pool. Bye little village. Bye random lava pool. Bye mysterious floating blocks.


See you next week! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment